In pairs, Y9/GCSE students visit 9 different cartoons posted around the wall.
They have to work out:
a. Which cause is being ‘covered’ in each cartoon – sometimes two.
b. Which causes are NOT covered.
They are given a textbook diagram explaining the causes in the form of an artist’s impression to help them.
The 9 cartoons cover, in order:
- German expansion
- Nationalism in the Balkans
- Imperial rivalry in North Africa – Morocco
- Nationalism in the Balkans, toppling of Turkish Empire, (again)
- Alliance system linked with assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
- Protection of Belgium
- Imperial rivalry linked to naval race Imperial rivalry
- Morocco and AlgecirasAlliance system linked to colonial rivalry
This leaves the arms race and the Franco-German rivalry over Alsace –Lorraine not covered and naval rivalry only fleetingly mentioned (sorry for the pun !)