With the OFSTED Framework for 2019 very much in mind the clever people at OneBigHistoryDepartment have come up with a list of questions to ask yourself about your KS3 history curriculum
- What do you want your students in your school to know by the end of KS3? Why is this important?
- What are the topics that are fundamental for your students to know? Why are they so important?
- What are the topics that you will leave out of your curriculum? Why are they not important enough to include?
- What disciplinary knowledge (second order concepts) should students develop in each year? Why is this important?
- What substantive knowledge (first order concepts) should students develop in each year? Which concepts will they need to understand to make the most of GCSE and A-level?
- Are you being as ambitious as you can be for your students? Is there sufficient challenge in the curriculum you are setting?
- Does your curriculum reflect the diversity of your student body? Are there too many ‘great men’ making up your curriculum?
- Do all your team share a clear vision for the history curriculum? Are they all able to articulate this if asked? Do